Ted Rubin is a leading Social Marketing Strategist, Keynote Speaker, Brand Evangelist, and Acting CMO of Brand Innovators. Many people in the social media world know Ted for his enthusiastic, energetic and undeniably personal connection to people. Ted is the most followed CMO on Twitter according to Social Media Marketing Magazine. In March 2009 he started using and evangelizing the term ROR, Return on Relationship, which is the basis of his philosophy… It’s All About Relationships! His book, Return on Relationship was released January 2013. His new book, How To Look People in the Eye Digitally, was released January 2015.
Key Reinvention Take-Aways from Ted’s Interview:
- Be careful about looking back too much. Learn from your mistakes, but try not to second guess yourself too much.
- Surround yourself with friends you trust. Having a community will give you power.
- Some friends will be for when you just need someone to listen and offer comfort; some will be for when you need advice. Associate with people who will drag you out of your discomfort zone.
- Model yourself after people you admire.
- To reinvent: (1) Ask why aren’t you happy, why do I want to reinvent? (2) What are you passionate about — can you make it a career? (3) Once you make the decision to do it, go for it. Stop worrying about the perfect plan. Try things and get immediate feedback (which you can do easily these days through social media).
- His biggest mistake: Giving up too soon and letting too much time go by before trying again.